What is ‘Tomb Raider Horizons’?
Tomb Raider Horizons is an independent, fan-run website that shines a light on the archaeological sites, artefacts, languages, folklore, myths, and cultures featured in the Tomb Raider games, films, and spin-off media.
Its mission: To inspire Tomb Raider fans of all ages to expand their intellectual horizons and use this beloved franchise as a platform for learning more about the world around them.
What can I find here?
Great question. Here are some of the features we publish on this site:
- In-depth looks at the locations, myths, and artefacts featured in the Tomb Raider series and spin-off media;
- Articles on the depiction of archaeology and archaeologists in video games and popular culture;
- Articles on ancient and modern languages;
- Articles on food culture, folklore, and other forms of intangible cultural heritage;
- Reviews of comics, books, and documentaries;
- Links to educational resources and online publications;
- Guest articles from fellow Tomb Raider fans;
- Interviews with Tomb Raider community members and content creators.
Not sure where to start? You can find a handy guide over here which lists the main sections of this site and recommended reads for first-time visitors.
You say ‘we publish’. How many people run this site?
Actually, it’s just one person: me, Kelly M. I’m responsible for maintaining this site, creating most of its original content, and running its various social media accounts.
I’m an archaeologist and I’m concerned that the Tomb Raider series will give people the wrong impression about what archaeology is and what archaeologists do for a living.
I’m very much aware that Lara Croft’s archaeological methods leave a lot to be desired and that the depiction of archaeologists in popular culture has given the general public a very misleading and inaccurate impression of the profession.
I launched this site with a few basic aims in mind:
- To show gamers and archaeology enthusiasts that there’s a world of difference between archaeology as an academic discipline and science and the treasure-hunting antics of Lara Croft;
- To use the Tomb Raider series as a platform for further study and to inspire others to learn more about world history, archaeological sites, and ancient civilisations;
- To help establish the importance of protecting cultural heritage and cultural diversity for future generations to study and appreciate.
How can I support this site? Do you have a Patreon?
I don’t have a Patreon account but you can show your support for this site in a number of other ways, such as:
- Donating money via Ko-fi to help me cover the costs of running this site;
- Sharing my articles on social media;
- Adding a link to the site or any of its articles from your own site;
- Interviewing me or inviting me to write a guest article for your site;
- Disabling your ad blocker on this domain to help boost the site’s ad revenue;
- Purchasing some Tomb Raider books and other merchandise via my Amazon affiliate links, which you will find throughout the site.
Tomb Raider Horizons is supported by its readers through WordAds and affiliate marketing. Some of the product links used in my articles and displayed in the side menu are Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I may earn a small commission from any qualifying purchases you make via Amazon or Amazon UK – at no extra cost to you.
Lara Croft and Tomb Raider are trademarks or registered trademarks of Square Enix Limited. All rights reserved.