About the Site
Please note that Tomb Raider Horizons is no longer being updated.
What is ‘Tomb Raider Horizons’?
Tomb Raider Horizons (formerly known as The Archaeology of Tomb Raider) is an independent, fan-run website that shines a light on the archaeological sites, artefacts, languages, folklore, and cultures featured in the Tomb Raider games, films, and spin-off media.
Its mission: To inspire Tomb Raider fans to expand their intellectual horizons and use this beloved franchise as a platform for learning more about the world around them.
What can I find here?
Good question. Here are just some of the features we publish on this site:
- In-depth looks at the locations, myths and artefacts featured in the Tomb Raider series from an archaeological point of view;
- Articles on the depiction of archaeology and archaeologists in popular culture;
- Articles on archaeology, treasure hunting, and the antiquities trade;
- Articles on ancient and modern languages;
- Articles on food culture, folklore, and other aspects of intangible cultural heritage;
- Reviews of comics, books, and documentaries;
- Links to educational resources and online publications; and
- Guest articles from fellow Tomb Raider fans and archaeologists.
You say ‘we publish’. How many people run this site?
Actually, it’s just one person: me, Kelly M. I’m responsible for maintaining this site, creating most of its original content, and running its social media accounts.
If you want to learn a little more about me, you’ll find a short bio over here.
I’m an archaeologist and I’m worried that the Tomb Raider series will give people the wrong impression about what archaeology is and what archaeologists do for a living.
I’m a mere enthusiast but even I am painfully aware that Lara’s archaeological methods leave a lot to be desired and that the depiction of archaeologists in popular culture has given the general public a very misleading and inaccurate impression of the profession.
One of the reasons I launched this site was to:
- Show gamers that there’s a huge difference between archaeology as an academic discipline and the treasure-hunting antics of Ms Croft;
- Use the Tomb Raider series as a platform for further study and to inspire others to learn more about world history and archaeological sites, and;
- Help establish the importance of protecting cultural heritage for future generations to study and enjoy.
How can I support this site? Do you have a Patreon?
I don’t have a Patreon account but you can show your support for this site by:
- Donating money via Ko-fi to help me cover the costs of running this site;
- Sharing its articles on social media;
- Adding a link to the site (or any of its articles) from your own blog or website;
- Disabling AdBlocker on this domain to help boost the site’s ad revenue; or
- Purchasing some Tomb Raider books and other merchandise via the site’s Amazon affiliate accounts.
Copyright © Lara Croft and Tomb Raider are trademarks or registered trademarks of Square Enix Ltd. All rights reserved.
Tomb Raider Horizons is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and Amazon EU Associates Programme, affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon and Amazon UK.