About the Site
What is ‘Tomb Raider Horizons’?
Tomb Raider Horizons is an independent, fan-run website that shines a light on the archaeological sites, artefacts, languages, folklore, myths, and cultures featured in the Tomb Raider games, films, and spin-off media.
Its mission: To inspire Tomb Raider fans to expand their intellectual horizons and use this beloved franchise as a platform for learning more about the world around them.
What can I find here?
Good question. Here are just some of the features we publish on this site:
- In-depth looks at the locations, myths and artefacts featured in the Tomb Raider series from an archaeological point of view;
- Articles on the depiction of archaeology and archaeologists in popular culture;
- Articles on archaeology, treasure hunting, and the antiquities trade;
- Articles on ancient and modern languages;
- Articles on food culture, folklore, and other aspects of intangible cultural heritage;
- Reviews of comics, books, and documentaries;
- Links to educational resources and online publications; and
- Guest articles from fellow Tomb Raider fans and archaeologists.
You say ‘we publish’. How many people run this site?
Actually, it’s just one person: me, Kelly M. I’m responsible for maintaining this site, creating most of its original content, and running its social media accounts.
If you would like to learn a little more about me and my professional background, you can find a short biography over here.
I’m an archaeologist and I’m worried that the Tomb Raider series will give people the wrong impression about what archaeology is and what archaeologists do for a living.
I’m painfully aware that Lara’s archaeological methods leave a lot to be desired and that the depiction of archaeologists in popular culture has given the general public a very misleading and inaccurate impression of the profession.
I launched this site with a few basic aims in mind:
- To show gamers and archaeology enthusiasts that there’s a world of difference between archaeology as an academic discipline and the treasure-hunting antics of Lara Croft;
- To use the Tomb Raider series as a platform for further study and to inspire others to learn more about world history, archaeological sites, and ancient civilisations, and;
- To help establish the importance of protecting cultural heritage and cultural diversity for future generations to study and appreciate.
How can I support this site? Do you have a Patreon?
I don’t have a Patreon account but you can show your support for this site in a number of other ways:
- By donating money via Ko-fi to help me cover the costs of running this site;
- By sharing my articles on social media;
- By adding a link to the site or any of its articles from your own blog or website;
- By disabling AdBlocker on this domain to help boost the site’s ad revenue; or
- By purchasing some Tomb Raider books and other merchandise via my Amazon affiliate links, which you will find throughout the site.
Copyright © Lara Croft and Tomb Raider are trademarks or registered trademarks of Square Enix Ltd. All rights reserved.
Tomb Raider Horizons is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and Amazon EU Associates Programme, affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon and Amazon UK.