Shadow of the Tomb Raider will be available on PC, Playstation 4, and Xbox One as from September 14 but you may be wondering, “Which edition should I buy?” and “Should I pre-order the game?”.
Knowing which edition to splash your hard-earned cash on can be a challenge, especially when there are several different editions to choose from, so here’s a handy guide to help you decide.
Update: The information posted below was originally posted back in April 2018 so much of it will no longer be relevant. Please note that many stores have dropped their prices since the game’s launch, so it may be worth shopping around. In some cases, it may be cheaper to buy the standard edition in one place and buy the season pass via your console or PC’s online store than purchase the Croft Edition. The author learnt this lesson the hard way. (November 2018)
Which Edition Should I Buy?
There are currently four editions available for pre-order:
- Standard Edition – This is the most basic package you can buy. No season pass, no additional content, and only the bare minimum of pre-order incentives (see the pre-orders section below).
- Digital Deluxe Edition – This includes the game, one additional weapon and outfit, and the original game soundtrack.
- Croft Edition – This includes the game, three additional weapons and outfits, the original game soundtrack, and a season pass.
- Ultimate Edition – This Square Enix Store exclusive is a limited edition package and includes the Croft Edition, a “Terrifying Tombs” Lara Croft statue, a bottle opener fashioned after Lara’s climbing axe, and a torch/flashlight.
All four editions will be available for the Playstation 4 and Xbox One but, sadly, there is no Ultimate Edition planned for the PC at this time.
Is The Season Pass Worth It?
It’s too early to tell if the Shadow of the Tomb Raider season pass will be worth the extra cost but the content included in the Rise of the Tomb Raider season pass was – in my humble opinion – worth every last cent.
Gamers with a season pass can expect new content every month for a period of seven months, starting from October 2018. This includes:
- One new challenge tomb per month with new narrative side missions;
- One new weapon and outfit per month, one of which will be a season pass exclusive and available from day one;
- One new skill per month, one of which will be a season pass exclusive and available from day one; and
- Co-op functionality, which will be introduced with the first challenge tomb (October 2018).
If aren’t sure whether you want to fork out the extra money for the Croft/Ultimate Edition or you’d prefer to wait a while, you should be able to purchase the season pass or any of its additional content at a later date.
Should I Pre-Order the Game?
The concept of pre-ordering games has become a contentious subject in recent years but if you’re a huge fan of the reboot series, you’re probably aching to get your hands on the game. After all, Shadow of the Tomb Raider is the continuation – and conclusion – of Lara Croft’s rebooted origin story and who could resist an adventure set in Central and South America?
But if you’re still sitting on the fence about placing your order before seeing any gameplay footage, here are a few reasons you should consider pre-ordering the game:
- If you pre-order a copy of the Croft, Digital Deluxe or Ultimate Edition, you’ll be granted 48 hours early access, which means you can dive into the game on September 12;
- If you pre-order any edition of the game, you’ll receive a skills booster pack; and
- If you pre-order any edition for the Playstation 4, you’ll also get an exclusive PS4 dynamic theme. Xbox One pre-orders include an Xbox Live Avatar outfit, while those pre-ordering the game via Steam will get a Steam exclusive wallpaper.
Note: Some retailers are offering other pre-order incentives, so it’s worth shopping around before you place your order. For instance, the Benelux gaming chain Game Mania has an “Artifact Edition” on offer, consisting of the base game and a 10-cm TOTAKU Lara Croft figurine, while the UK-based retailer GAME is offering a special steel-book edition as a pre-order incentive.
Please note that any of the details above are subject to change and that new editions may be announced in future.
- ‘Shadow of the Tomb Raider’ – Events Calendar
- ‘Shadow of the Tomb Raider’ – ‘End of the Beginning’ Trailer
- ‘Shadow of the Tomb Raider’ – Concept Art and Screenshots (April 2018)