Announcements concerning The Rise of the Tomb Raider are coming thick and fast as the Xbox release date approaches. So fast, in fact, that updating this site and staying abreast of all the latest news is becoming quite the challenge…
So for those of you who are in the same boat as I am, here’s a quick rundown of the week’s developments.
*** Warning: The following may contain some minor spoilers ***
Bobby Tahouri Named as Rise of the Tomb Raider Soundtrack Composer
Following months of speculation, Crystal Dynamics has finally revealed that the composer tasked with creating the soundtrack for their upcoming game is the renowned American composer Bobby Tahouri, whose work has been featured on the hit TV series Game of Thrones, in the 2012 video game Medal of Honor: Warfighter, and in Hollywood blockbusters such as Despicable Me 2 and Iron Man.
Crystal Dynamics Announces 4 New Game Modes
Crystal Dynamics has already stated that gamers can expect to spend at least 30 hours completing Rise’s single-player campaign and side quests and it seems that the team is deeply committed to boosting the game’s replay value even further. Four new game modes and community features have been announced, which are:
- Chapter Replay – This will allow gamers to replay earlier chapters of the story and allow them to earn credits by completing challenges.
- Chapter Replay Elite – This is similar to the above but gamers will be able to use the upgraded skills and equipment they acquired in their first playthrough.
- Score Attack – This will allow gamers to replay levels with new sets of rules. They will be able to play against the clock for a time bonus, keep their score multiplier high by chaining together attacks, movements, and collectibles, and earn credits by collecting medals.
- Remnant Resistance – This will allow gamers to replay hub spaces with a new set of goals and allow them to craft their own missions by choosing their desired objectives, enemies, and other factors. They will also be able to play other people’s custom missions and challenge others to beat their high score.
The credits referred to above appear to be part of an in-game currency that can be used to purchase Expedition Cards, modifiers that can be used for crafting custom missions or adding new levels of challenge (or fun) to these game modes. Some of these will grant the player tactical advantages while others will be there for pure entertainment value (e.g. Big Head Mode).
According to Creative Director Noah Hughes, there will be two types of Expedition Cards: Common (which can only be used once per purchase) and Foil (which can be used as often as the gamer wishes). An estimated 300 cards will be available at launch and new cards will be added to the selection shortly thereafter.
It’s interesting to note that players will be able to purchase Expedition Cards with real-world currency, leading many to speculate that Rise of the Tomb Raider will be the latest AAA title to include micro-transactions. This claim, however, has yet to be confirmed or refuted by Crystal Dynamics and it’s unclear how much of an impact these supposed micro-transactions will have on the single-player campaign.
You can read the full interview with Noah Hughes over on Xbox Wire.
Rise of the Tomb Raider Season Pass Will Include a New Tomb, and More…
Last but not least, gamers will be able to further extend their single-player campaigns by purchasing the Rise of the Tomb Raider Season Pass, which will give them access to a range of skins, weapons, Expedition Cards, and other exclusive content over a 4-month period.
Although the final details have yet to be confirmed, Noah Hughes told Xbox Wire that the pass will include three major releases: an Endurance mode, Cold Darkness Awakened (where gamers will have to combat waves of infected predators), and a new tomb, Baba Yaga: The Temple of the Witch.
Baba Yaga is a figure from Slavic folklore who is commonly associated with both wisdom and death and is sometimes referred to as a guardian of the Waters of Life and Death, a theme that ties in nicely to the game’s focus on immortality.
For more information on the Season Pass, please visit the Xbox store.
- Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox One Bundle Coming this November
- Rise of the Tomb Raider Collector’s Edition Unveiled
- Prima Games to Publish Official Rise of the Tomb Raider Strategy Guide