Crystal Dynamics and Xbox have kicked off what will surely be an exciting month for Tomb Raider fans by releasing a new teaser trailer for Lara’s next adventure, Rise of the Tomb Raider.
The CGI teaser trailer, dubbed “Discover the Legend Within” sees our heroine relying on her wits, quick reflexes, and trusty climbing axes to traverse and survive the treacherous peaks of Siberia and gives us a sneak preview of what we can expect to see at the Xbox E3 Briefing in 2 weeks’ time.
I have to admit I have mixed feelings about the trailer and the game as a whole. Anyone who’s followed my blog or social media accounts for a while will know that I’m not overly fond of the reboot (or of Camilla Luddington’s interpretation of Lara) and that as a PS4 gamer, I’m a little disappointed that I won’t get to play Rise upon release. But that final scene in the teaser trailer, where Lara lights up a flare and takes her first few tentative steps into the icy cavern…it almost made me believe that the old Lara is back. Perhaps I should give this new Lara a second chance to wow me…
Some other thoughts that crossed my mind whilst watching “Discover the Legend Within”:
- Lovely montage of famous explorers. There’s Amelia Earhart, who I’d like to think was the “lost adventurer” from the DLC tomb in TR 2013. That aviatrix jacket must have been hers, surely…
- Somewhat inspirational (but, sadly, overacted) narration from Camilla Luddington, questioning what drove these bold explorers to travel to the ends of the earth and risk their lives.
- “The world is full of unanswered questions”. Yes, like when can we expect to play this game on a Playstation or PC?
- Frosty eyelids. Looks a bit chilly wherever Lara is. I hope she wrapped up warm this time.
- That ice formation doesn’t look safe, Lara. Take care…
- I said “Take care”, dammit. Not so much a Tomb Raider as Tumble Raider. *shakes head*
- If this were the game itself, this part would probably be a quick time event. “Press X to not fall to your death”.
- Phew, lucky save, Lara.
- And she’s up. Looks like she lost her hat and mountaineering goggles in that little accident. No matter. She’s immune to hypothermia and snow blindness.
- FLARE!!! POSSIBLE TOMB!!! Happy memories of Tomb Raiders gone by. *squees*
- “Discover the legend within”? I guess that’s a little less cheesy than “a survivor is born”. But still…
- Xbox. Sigh… *makes note to watch the E3 briefing*
Crystal Dynamics have also released the official Xbox One box art for Rise of the Tomb Raider. Game Director Brian Horton announced today that renowed Lara Croft cosplayer, Jenn Croft, served as the model for the game’s box art. I don’t know about you but I think they both deserve some praise for their amazing work!
Here are a few screenshots I made of the teaser trailer. Feel free to use these and/or share them on social media. All I ask is that you don’t remove the watermark and that you provide a link back to this article (or the blog’s home page).
So, are you ready to “Rise”? What were your thoughts on the trailer? Will you be watching the Xbox E3 Briefing on 15th June?