Remember last month when I compiled a list of the precious few details we knew about the upcoming Tomb Raider sequel, Rise of the Tomb Raider? And how we all took to social media to decry the lack of screenshots and plot details?
Well, it looks like that’s all about to change as Game Informer have just announced that the Rise of the Tomb Raider will be their cover story for March 2015!
Game Informer subscribers will be treated to a 12-page feature on Crystal Dynamics’ highly-anticipated title, though non-subscribers will have access to a selection of video interviews, articles, and podcasts via the site’s Rise of the Tomb Raider hub over the coming month. The contents of Game Informer’s digital edition are exclusive to GI subscribers for now (non-subscribers should check the hub daily for new assets) but here’s a summary of what we know so far:
- Lara has grown into a capable adventurer since we last saw her and she will be travelling to the frozen wilderness of Siberia in search of lost secrets of immortality.
- She will be pitted against a secret society that has been lying in the shadows since Tomb Raider 2013 (Trinity, perhaps?)
- Lara will also need to hunt and craft survival gear in order to tackle the larger puzzle tombs (hopefully these tombs won’t be optional extras) and she will now be armed with not one, but TWO, climbing axes as well as a range of new equipment and weapons.
- Unofficially released screenshots reveal that Jonah will be joining Lara on her latest adventure and that the game will take place in at least two different locations (the screenshots will be published on this blog once they’re publicly available to non-subscribers and some concept art can be found here).
- The game does not have a release date as yet but it will be released for the Xbox 360 and Xbox One this holiday season; there are no plans to release the game for the PC or PlayStation 4 at present but this doesn’t rule out a multi-platform release in future.
The Game Informer feature explores the game’s plot and gameplay features in further detail but since that information was not publicly available at the time of writing, I am unable to publish any other details on this blog. Sorry, folks. Subscribers *are* paying for that privilege. 😉
But rest assured, there will be plenty more news and updates on Rise of the Tomb Raider over the coming months. 🙂
An archive of Game Informer’s exclusive online coverage can be found over at their dedicated Rise of the Tomb Raider hub. Be sure to check it regularly for more news, exclusive features, and video interviews!
- Game Informer: Five Ways Rise Of The Tomb Raider Is Improving Upon The Reboot
- What We Know About the Rise of the Tomb Raider So Far…
- The Rise of the Console Exclusive Raider?