Thanking the Donors:
First of all, I’d like to thank everyone who made a donation and/or helped spread the word about my fundraising efforts on their blogs and social media. You guys rock! And I’d like to give a special shout-out to the following people for their support and generosity:
- Rosana M (my mum)
- Sander B (my husband)
- Megan F
- Luke A
- Leo D (aka Catovich)
- Dr John Oakland
- Harrison C
- CVW 220
- Reinhard L
- Steven F (aka Ridentffxi)
- Martyn R
- Nathan H (aka NathPlays)
- Stella Lune
- Daryl B
- John T (aka JHNWrites)
- Dean P
- Noelle A
- Jasmin C
- Nicole G
Thanks to the people listed above, my fundraising total is now a whopping ***$585***, all of which will go towards improving the care and treatment of sick children at the Children’s National Medical Centre in Washington DC. I originally set out to raise $250 and, as a first-time Extra Lifer, I never expected to not only hit that target but surpass it by over $300. It’s been a fun, yet humbling, experience and I’m so glad I was able to do my part to promote and raise money for this extremely worthy cause. I look forward to surpassing my total again next year!
Once again, a million thanks to everyone who’s supported me and my fellow Team Tomb Raider Community team mates over the past few weeks. Don’t forget that you’re also welcome to donate money to any of the other 21 team mates. Some people haven’t quite hit their fundraising target yet so why not help them out?
Winners of the Prize Draws:
The winner of the £20 voucher for Insert Coin was Leo D (aka Catovich) while the winner of the Steam prize draw was Noelle A (aka Pfangirl), who has won the Tomb Raider game of her choice, Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light (OK, not strictly a Tomb Raider game…but close enough).
Congratulations, guys! And commisserations to those of you who didn’t win anything this time around. There’s always next year. 😉
In the lead up to Extra Life weekend, I streamed a grand total of 34 hours of gameplay, though sadly the past broadcasts are no longer available on my Twitch channel thanks to Twitch’s new archiving rules.
I kicked off the livestream on Friday 17th October with some Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag gameplay, where I showcased my inability to complete stealth missions steathily, explored some of the remote islands of the Caribbean, went shark hunting, and took viewers on a grand tour of the ultramodern (but sterile) Abstergo Entertainment office.
Saturday and Sunday’s livestreams were devoted to playing through Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition. I played the old-gen version on the Xbox 360 back in March 2013 but this time, I played the game to completion on the PS4 and then went on to complete as many side missions as possible, unlocking numerous trophies and killing off much of Yamatai’s wildlife with explosive and fire arrows in the process. Then there were also these interesting glitches, which I’ve uploaded to my Youtube channel for posterity.
And if the gaming itself wasn’t fun enough, the chatroom provided endless hours of entertainment. Granted, a lot of the conversations were funnier in context and very much a case of “you had to be there” but I can’t tell you how grateful I am for the jokes and words of encouragement I got from my viewers during my marathon gaming session. The key moments of my first foray into livestreaming were:
- Dealing with a viewer whose sole contribution to the chat was “Boobies, bae?” (I’m not sure Twitch is the best place for porn, my friend)
- Trying (and failing) to make Edward Kenway swim all the way round one of the biggest islands on the AC: Black Flag map.
- Dumping bodies in creative positions in AC: Black Flag (some of those ragdoll effects looked downright painful)
- Making Lara Croft flail about in a mid-air gravity-defying dance (see video above).
- Crab hunting on Yamatai’s shipwreck beach…and the icky “crab” jokes that followed.
- Pondering the logistics of eating, sleeping and “answering nature’s call” on Yamatai. (“Press X to poop”)
- Searching for “video game toilets” in Tomb Raider and AC: Black Flag.
- Screaming “SAAAAAAAAAAAAM” down the mic on several occasions (she’s a liability, I swear)
- Trying to put Sam out of her misery (it’s impossible to kill her, no matter how hard you try)
- Blowing up countless chickens and wild pigs using explosive arrows in the Shantytown area (anyone up for some extra crispy bacon?)
- Forgetting to unmute my mic and wondering why no one was replying to my questions… (fail)
- Putting Lara in a compromising position thanks to the wonder of dodgy scavenging animations (maybe Twitch *is* a good place for porn after all)
Chances are I may have missed something in my list so feel free to share your favourite livestream moments below!
This pretty much wraps up my Extra Life gaming marathon for 2014. What an amazing rollercoaster of a ride it’s been!
I might organize a “bonus round” livestream soon to push up my fundraising total even higher so keep your eyes peeled for that! If you want to know when I’m broadcasting my gaming, follow my Twitch channel and you’ll be notified by email when I’m on the air. 🙂
** Please note that the prizes for my Extra Life prize draws were both paid for by Kelly M and that 100% of the proceeds of my Extra Life fundraising will go straight to the Children’s National Medical Centre in Washington DC. Close friends and family were not eligible for either draw.